Friday, September 27, 2013

Give Me Some China Rice


When I was in 5th grade, a local musician put on a program to help us write a school song.  The lyrics "I am free to be me, here at VP" still haunt me sometimes.  Who would have thought that a bunch of 10-year-olds could be so creative...  

He told us that groups like N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys were trash.  We all gasped and stared at him in horror.  He said they are boring and lazy, at which I clasped my hand over my mouth to stifle a scream.  He explained that real music has a beat that has no rhyme or reason.  It needs to makes you smile just because, or makes your feet move so fast you trip, or makes you think you have a great voice, or that you can listen to on repeat and each time gets better.  He said that the lyrics are secondary, the beat is the foundation of the song.  Not just "boom, boom, pow, boom, boom, pow, boom, boom, pow", but a real beat that makes you feel something.

I came across Joburg Jam a couple of years ago and I was immediately addicted.  It's not Miley Cyrus or Beyoncé or Lady Gaga or Avicci.  It doesn't make the top charts.  But that is the point. 

It makes you feel that something.  I couldn't tell you what it is, there is no definition or formula, it's just simply a feeling.  I've tried so hard to understand what they are saying so I can sing along, but I can't seem to figure it out.  At 0:32 it sounds like they're saying "Give me some China rice".  I highly doubt that is what they are actually saying, but a bunch of everyday sounds is about as real as real music gets. 



xo c

No comments:

Post a Comment